PUBLIC NOTICE ON REGISTERED COLLECTING SOCIETIES
Music Copyright Society of Kenya (MCSK) would wish to inform the general public of the following:
- MCSK is a company limited by guarantee that operates as a collecting society based on direct mandate from its members as well as members of its affiliated societies across the world. MCSK is duly licensed by the Government of Kenya through the Kenya Copyright Board (KECOBO) as provided under section 46 of the Copyright Act.
- MCSK is one of three registered collecting societies in the music industry.
- MCSK is solely mandated to collect and distribute royalties for exploitation of rights in both foreign and local musical works throughout the Republic of Kenya.
- All further information on registered collecting societies in the music industry may be obtained directly from KECOBO.
We look forward to your cooperation.
CS. MAURICE OKOTH
R-KAY KING OF 2015 BROADCASTING ROYALTIES , SAUTI SOL TOP GROUP
Music Composer , Arranger , Producer and performer ROBERT KAMANZI AKA R KAY , has emerged as the highest earner in the Broadcasting category for Royalties paid out by the MUSIC COPYRIGHT SOCIETY OF KENYA , MCSK . The number one position was previously held by the Late Angela Chibalonza , who was the highest earner in the last distribution declared in December 2014 and was placed second in the February declarations thus reaffirming the dominance by gospel artistes . Gloria Muliro was placed at number three .
It is however to be noted that SAUTI SOL would have been the highest earners if their royalties were not divided amongst the four(4) group members . This is to say if Sauti Sol earnings were consolidated to one artist , then Sauti Sol would be the highest earners .
The royalties paid were declared in Feb 28 th 2015 and relate to the broadcasting logs received for the period 1st July 2013 to 30 th June 2014 .
Notice on MCSK Elections
Pursuant to article 50 (a) of MCSK’s Articles of Association and Rule (a) of the Election Rules for the Governing Council, qualified members who wish to vie for seat in the Governing Council are notified as follows;
- 1)That nomination papers can be collected from the Regional offices of the Society with effect from the date of this notice.
- 2)Duly completed Nomination Forms should be deposited in the “Nominations Box” at the head office not later than Twelve (12) noon on Friday 13th March 2015.
- 3)Elections will be held in the respective Regions on 21st April 2015 and the Annual General Meeting will be held on 30th April 2015. The specific venues for the said meetings to be announced later.
- 4)Pursuant to Article 32(b) (i) and (ii) the number of vacancies are Two (2) for Nairobi Region, and One(1) each for the following Regions;
- Eastern and North Eastern
- Rift valley
NB: Those vying for vacancies in other regions other than Nairobi must be either an Author or a Composer.
- 5)Under Article 33, Candidates shall;
- Be members of the Society for a continuous period of four (4) years, (that is up to membership number 4619.
- Have been a member of the region they wish to vie for at least six (6) months prior to date of this notice.
- Submit a certificate of good conduct by 31st March 2015.
- 6)Candidates are also required to submit Curriculum Vitae (CV), Testimonials, Academic Certificates and a copy of Identity Card together with Nomination Forms
- 7)Next of kin members are not qualified to vie for membership in the Governing Council but are qualified to vote. Only those who were full members by 31st March 2014 will be qualified to vote, (that is up to membership number 8393.
- 8)Voting will be on the basis of “one man one vote”.
NB: Copies of the Memorandum and Articles of Association, Election Rules and the Nomination Forms can be downloaded from the MCSK website, www.mcsk.or.ke.
By order of the Governing Council.
CS Martha Maina,